Central Baptist Church, a progressive, inclusive, and welcoming Baptist church in Lexington, Kentucky, with a strong musical tradition, is seeking a part-time Music Director beginning summer 2023 who will:
- Select, rehearse, and conduct music with the Sanctuary Choir for most Sunday worship services.
- Collaborate with the worship planning team to foster vibrant musical elements in regular and seasonal worship and special events.
- Identify and nurture musical gifts and interests in the congregation, including recruitment for the Sanctuary Choir and musical offerings from soloists, ensembles, and guest musicians, and engage with the congregation as a whole.
- Involve youth and children in seasonal worship and musical activities.
- Supervise and work with the church organist for music selection, rehearsals, and schedules.
The successful candidate will have, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree in music from an accredited college or university with an emphasis on choral conducting. Seminary training is a plus. At least one year of directing a church choir / music ministry and/or school musical groups and programs preferred. The position is based on 12-15 hours per week.
Central’s worship follows a blended liturgical style with some contemporary elements based on the Revised Common Lectionary. Musical styles for the choir and congregation range from classical and contemporary composers to gospel / spirituals and traditional 19th-, 20th- and 21st-century hymns. Instrumental accompaniment may be organ, piano, guitar or other instruments. The ideal candidate would balance respect for Central’s musical traditions while thoughtfully leading us in creative and timely new directions.
Central is partnered with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and is a member of the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists and the Alliance of Baptists. More information about the church is available at LexCentral.com.
Previous and live-streamed worship services are available on our YouTube channel.
Interested individuals should submit a Letter of Interest and a résumé by May 31, 2023 to:
Jane Tatum, c/o Central Baptist Church, 110 Wilson Downing Road, Lexington KY 40517 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.