Fairview is a small, lively, progressive congregation in the heart of Orange County. As we say each Sunday in greeting those gathered live and online, “Fairview is a diverse community, a joyously open and affirming congregation, affiliated with the American Baptist Churches-USA and the United Church of Christ…this is a safe place for all people to worship regardless of race, creed, age, cultural background, sexual, or gender orientation. Whoever you are and wherever you are on life’s journey, know there is a place for you here.”
We are searching for a leader who is creative, energetic, innovative, and imaginative. The possibilities and opportunities for ministry here are rich for the right leader.
Strongly-Held Values of FCC’s Culture
- We are a warm and compassionate community. We care about one another.
- We are a playful community
- We believe that God loves and creates people of every ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, age, cognitive and physical ability. All persons in our congregation matter to us because they are children of God and matter to Jesus Christ.
- We are an authentically questioning community who walk in faith and support each other despite our differences and limitations.
- We create a space where critical current issues are brought to light and explored.
- We are free thinkers; historically free church in our identity, polity and practice.
- We cherish the gift of Fairview’s history, a legacy of faithful witness to the Good News.
- We are sustained by our worship community, the primary place in which we all gather. We value lively, diverse and challenging preaching and worship.
- We are committed to community outreach, social and racial justice, and ministry beyond our church walls.
- We have a long-standing tradition of lay leadership working in collaboration with a pastor who stands with us, not over us.
The Pastor will be responsible for the following:
- Planning and overseeing worship services.
- Coordinating all community gatherings and educational activities in partnership with other staff and lay leaders in service of the congregation’s values, vision, and goals.
- Overseeing church staff.
- Leading in the connection to various ABC-USA and UCC judicatories and organizations.
- Forming connections and/or partnerships with other community leaders and organizations, ecumenical and interfaith partners.
- Helping to cultivate lay leadership and ministering with the Church Board and others in the church.
- Communicating and working with our building partners.
- Seminary education and training, having earned at least a Master of Divinity degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Ordained Minister with experience and knowledge of free church traditions and theology.
- A thoughtful and engaging preacher, with the ability to challenge the congregation both spiritually and intellectually with relevance to biblical and theological traditions and modern daily life.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Competence using technology and social media.
- Demonstrated passion for social justice issues and initiatives.