The historic Williamsburg Baptist Church in Williamsburg, Virginia is seeking a pastoral resident to round out their staff! The job description is below.
Interested parties can apply by sending a cover letter and resume to the Williamsburg Baptist Church Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WBC was founded in 1828 and is located near Colonial Williamsburg and the College of William and Mary. Our church can be described as liturgical in worship and moderate-to-progressive in theology and mission. We are LGBTQ+ affirming, social justice oriented, and rooted in the Biblical vision of God’s liberating justice and peace. WBC seeks to develop a spiritual formation program where all ages can worship, learn, connect, and serve in ways that contribute meaningfully toward a lifelong faith journey.
Full-Time, Exempt, two-year commitment
$40,000 for salary and housing allowance, $3,000 health insurance reimbursement allowance; $2,000 expense and continuing education allowance.
This position will qualify for paid leave, holidays and vacation.
Flexible weekday hours; Sunday mornings from 9:15 am – 12:15 pm.
Scope and Objectives
The Pastoral Resident will focus on community building in our congregation, with a potential emphasis on starting and nurturing small groups, working with college students, and partnering with lay leaders and our Director of Children and Family Ministries to work with youth and families. The primary objective for this position is to lead the congregation in the cultivation of a safe and spiritually rich environment for all in accordance with WBC’s vision and mission.
The Pastoral Resident serves under the direction of the WBC Personnel Coordinator with daily supervision by the Pastor in cooperation with the Leadership Council.
- Demonstrates their own sense of faith and spirituality, as well as qualities of a follower of Christ.
- A completed seminary degree from an accredited seminary program. Candidates who are currently enrolled in a graduate program may also be considered.
- Ability to make a positive contribution to the staff culture, embodying staff values and behaviors of excellence, as well as an ethic of servant leadership.
- Capacity to identify, equip, and mobilize volunteers.
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills, including teaching and presentation skills.
- Committed to the nurturing and development of their life outside the church (body, mind, spirit, family, community).
- In order to prepare the resident for a broad range of ministerial responsibilities, perform general pastoral duties and responsibilities alongside the senior pastor, including:
- Attending to pastoral needs and care of the congregation (with Congregational Care Council);
- Planning and leading in worship, including occasional preaching;
- Teaching in various contexts;
- Performing pre-marital counseling, weddings, and memorial services;
- Providing servant leadership and support in a collegial manner as a team player.
- Help start and nurture small groups in order to foster deeper community and discipleship for all ages, in partnership with the Christian Education Council.
- Coordinate with Mission Council and Director of Family and Children Ministry for appropriate mission engagement for youth and small groups.
- Attend staff meetings and the following council meetings: Leadership, Congregational Care, Christian Education, and Worship Councils.
- Promoting an intergenerational church culture, advocating for the place of our children and youth throughout our congregational life;
- Be an active worshipper at WBC.
- Be a connecting and energizing force in the life of the congregation.
- Recruit and develop church leaders and volunteers.
- Undertake other responsibilities as deemed appropriate by the resident and senior pastor. Because we are a growing congregation, we cannot anticipate every ministry need for the next two years. We also trust that the pastoral resident will bring their own unique gifts and talents and will inevitably put their own imprint on this position.
- Background check (including sex-offender registry) prior to official hire.
- Child Abuse and Neglect Training through VDSS (after hire).
- Verification of COVID vaccination
Position will remain open until a successful candidate has been selected. Starting date is negotiable.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.