The First Baptist Church of Jamaica Plain is seeking a part-time pastor for formation and outreach! The position description can be found below. To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to Rev. Ashlee Wiest-Laird at email@example.com!
Pastor for Formation & Outreach-Part time
First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain, MA
We are an urban, multicultural, welcoming and affirming, justice-minded American Baptist/Alliance of Baptists congregation.
Responsibilities: Oversee and organize Christian formation and outreach programs of the church. Design and implement effective classes, programs and activities whereby the talents, skills and spiritual gifts of all members of the congregation are nurtured and are used to minister to others. Provide specific attention to integrating children/youth into all activities of church life with the goal of equipping them to lead and serve here, now and in the future.
To this end the pastor will:
● Coordinate ongoing and occasional formation programs.
● Identify, recruit and resource teachers and other volunteers for regular educational programs.
● Plan and coordinate special events for various groups and/or whole congregation (such as mission/service projects, conferences, retreats, outings).
● Develop and administer a program of active outreach to the community.
● Promote and communicate the activities to the congregation and community through church newsletter, brochures, social media and other materials.
● Annually update Safe Church Policy. Be responsible for implementation of Safe Church policy for all volunteers.
● Collaborate closely with the Pastor and Music Minister on worship services and programs. This position assumes a shared role in leading Sunday morning services and regular preaching.
● Work with the Pastor to provide pastoral care as needed.
● Assist with annual budget preparation
● Attend monthly Church Council meetings. Attend neighborhood and greater Boston clergy meetings when possible.
● Guide church leadership in planning for and funding the future of this position. Grant writing experience preferable but not required.
Qualifications: Two or more years in an accredited seminary or divinity school or an MDiv, MTS or similar degree.
A strong candidate for this position will demonstrate the following:
● Christian faith with an ecumenical approach to ministry (Baptist identity a plus).
● Progressive theology that welcomes and affirms all people.
● Experience working or volunteering in urban ministry settings.
● Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
● Strong communication skills in various mediums including social media.
● Strong writing and speaking abilities.
● Flexibility, responsibility, accountability, honesty, and a good sense of humor.
● A desire to minister alongside a diverse community of believers, in a diverse neighborhood.
This position is for 20 hours/week with an annual salary of $23,500. No benefits are included at this time. To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to Rev. Ashlee Wiest-Laird at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. Immediate hire.