Seattle First Baptist Church seeks a Pastor to begin immediately. We envision the ideal candidate to be a thoughtful and skilled leader, who will work collaboratively as a co-pastor with the other co-pastor(s) to advance the mission of the church: to be a community of faith united in exploring what it means to follow the way of Jesus Christ, to be a people of God, and to love and care for our neighbors. This is an exempt, full-time position with an annual salary of $50,000 plus housing, utilities, parking for one vehicle, fully paid medical and dental, and full MMBB retirement plan. Specific duties are described in the job description below.
The sacred journey of SFBC, its leaders and congregation, shows a long-standing dedication to spiritual growth walking hand in hand with social justice. We embrace God’s love and reflect that love as a welcoming and affirming church. We are a 150-year-old, urban congregation that strives to continue and build upon the legacy of a liberal, progressive church.
As a co-pastor, you collaborate with your fellow co-pastor(s), church staff, the Council of Ministries, and congregants to advance the mission of SFBC. You share most pastoral duties with the other pastor(s), including worship and sermons, pastoral care, church programs, leadership, community engagement, and staff supervision. You may have areas of specialty and passion—as do others on the pastoral team, but all members are equally valued and compensated.
Details for Submission
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter; resume; and names, telephone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references.
We are currently accepting and reviewing applications. The position is open until filled, and we invite qualified candidates to interview at their earliest convenience. Please send your application to email@example.com. Submit questions about the position and application requirements to SFBC Church Administrator, Darren Hochstedler, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Along with the other co-equal member(s) of the pastoral team, you share collective responsibility to:
- Support and work as a team with the other co-equal pastor(s).
- Skillfully collaborate with pastors, staff, members, and friends of the congregation to fulfill the mission of SFBC, including doing the challenging work of undoing white supremacy in ourselves and in our community.
- Provide pastoral care, including visits to members of the congregation in hospitals, facilities, and their homes.
- Preside over rituals, including weddings, baptisms, and memorial services.
- Plan, lead, and preach during worship, approximately twice per month.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Talk with visitors who may become members, answer their questions, and educate them about church membership.
- Work with and guide various SFBC task forces, committees, and small groups to plan and coordinate efforts to meet the varied needs of SFBC and its members.
- Propose and write pieces for various church outlets, including the monthly church Spire, This Week newsletters, and social media.
- Participate in monthly Council of Ministries meetings.
- Strive to live and work by the Behavioral Norms of SFBC, which can be found at https://www.seattlefirstbaptist.org/values.html, and the Covenant and Code of Ethics for Ministerial Leaders of American Baptist Churches (ABC), which can be found at http://ministerscouncil.com/resources/covenant/covenant_english.pdf.
- Build and maintain relationships with local, regional, and national affiliated organizations and associations, e.g., ABC-USA, Evergreen Association of ABC, Faith Action Network, Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists.
Required Experience and Strengths
- Has a healthy sense of self: is kind, intuitive, resilient, humble, and hopeful; can inspire and engage.
- Acts with integrity and understands confidentiality.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations.
- Skilled in effective conflict resolution and transformation.
- Minimum work experience of 5 years in ministry and leadership.
- Proven record of effective leadership and supervision of staff.
- Master of Divinity (MDiv) or equivalent from an accredited theological seminary.
- An ordained minister of the Christian clergy who is willing to seek standing in the American Baptist Churches USA.
Please note: Full vaccination from COVID-19 and willingness to wear a mask while on the Church site are required for employment.
About Seattle First Baptist Church
Seattle First Baptist Church (SFBC) is an American Baptist congregation and church located in the vibrant heart of Seattle’s urban core. SFBC is a church community that seeks to follow the way of Jesus Christ, to be a people of God and to love and care for our neighbors. Faithful to our Baptist heritage, we strive for a world where people are welcomed regardless of, and with respect for, their religious beliefs; where the separation of church and state is vigorously defended; where freedom is a fundamental right that values the dignity of all persons without regard to their race, country of birth, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, or disabilities; and where compassion is the measure of our actions.
We are committed to the following values:
- We will go deeper in faith as we do justice, love mercy, work for peace and walk humbly with God.
- We will be present to one another and our neighbors in our personal relationships and by creating venues for engagement where we can learn about viewpoints different from our own.
- We will respect all religions by learning about the beliefs, values, and struggles of our neighbors and by demonstrating support for them.
- We will welcome the stranger, including immigrants and refugees, as our scriptures instruct. We will explore how to support their causes and advocate for justice, remembering that many of us are the children of immigrants and refugees.
- We will actively work to recognize and change our own biases and to fight racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, ageism, and other systemic prejudices.
- We will protect our environment and support preservation programs that are based on scientific data designed to improve our resources, enhance biodiversity, and reverse human-caused climate change.
We encourage you to visit our website www.seattlefirstbaptist.org to learn more about our life together as a faith community.
Seattle First Baptist Church is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. We encourage and support applicants of underrepresented groups, including black, indigenous, and all people of color.