The First Baptist Church of Rochester, New York is seeking its next Senior Pastor! See the following job description for details. Applications (resume and cover letter) may be submitted via email to:
Senior Pastor Search Committee
Attn: Dave Hood, Chairperson
You may also visit their website at www.rochesterfbc.org to learn more about FBC Rochester!
POSITION: Senior Pastor
REPORTS TO: Congregation and the Church Council
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Senior Pastor provides spiritual, pastoral, outreach, administrative, and servant leadership to the congregation of the First Baptist Church of Rochester. The Senior Pastor relates to and connects with multiple generations and a diverse congregation. The Senior Pastor extends God’s grace to others and leads by example as one who is relational, authentic, transparent, and humble.
- Plan for and conduct worship weekly where members participate both in person and remotely.
- Coordinate worship by consulting with the Worship Committee, Associate Pastor, Music Director and staff, on all elements of worship services.
- Prepare and deliver sermons at all regular worship services of the Church. (Note – The Associate Pastor participates in Sunday worship and delivers 6-10 sermons a year.)
- Prepare and lead all special worship events of the Church, including but not limited to Christmas Eve and holy week services, as well as weddings and funerals unless otherwise provided for as authorized by the Church.
- Guide the faith formation of the congregation through teaching, preaching, and leadership by example.
- Support the Associate Pastor and Christian Education Committee to ensure engaging programming outside of worship for adults, children and youth.
- Provide opportunities for study, education and fellowship beyond Sunday worship (e.g. Wed. night studies / classes).
- Collaborate with the staff and Missions Committee to manage financial mission support and to identify hands-on service opportunities within and beyond the Church.
- Work with the Church Council and Trustees to encourage the congregation to give time, talents, and resources in service to God.
- Oversee all areas of the congregation’s ministry in consultation with the Church Council, committees and the Trustees.
- Support, supervise, and manage the Associate Pastor and the Minister of Communications and Operations.
- Provide input for the evaluation of all Church employees in conjunction with the Minister of Communications and Operations and the Personnel Committee.
- Build a sense of teamwork among Church staff, the Church Council, Trustees and committee chairs. Hold and/or attend regular meetings to coordinate the ministries of the Church and facilitate communication.
- Collaborate with the Trustees to see that the church facilities are functional and in good repair.
- Expand membership by fostering a welcoming culture, encouraging visitors, and following-up with visitors.
- Provide training opportunities to the congregation for outreach and evangelism.
- Work with the Missions Committee to support various mission opportunities, to encourage the Church in giving to missions, and to involve the Church and individuals in mission service.
- Support the congregation’s embrace of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Connect with multiple generations and encourage a diverse congregation.
- Serve as a liaison and conduit to the American Baptist Churches of the Rochester / Genesee Region, neighboring churches, and clergy.
- Visit or contact church members to encourage their involvement or to address their personal needs (especially homebound church members).
- Provide pastoral care in conjunction with other staff, committees, and members through visitation, counseling, and prayer.
- Make appropriate referrals when necessary and quickly respond to crisis situations which arise in the congregation.
- Devout personal faith in Christ, familiar with the American Baptist tradition (although not necessarily American Baptist) and able to fully support the polity and mission of the church.
- Graduate theological degree from an accredited seminary or divinity school (Mdiv).
- At least five years of experience in a similar ministry position is preferred.
- The position of Senior Pastor requires great flexibility in hours available for work, including evenings and weekends.
- The pastor should be in the office a sufficient amount of time for accessibility to members of the congregation and for regular communication and collaboration with church staff.